Thursday, 31 March 2016

Spring time musings - and a fine frittata recipe too!

Well, the clocks have sprung forwards and so have I.  The last few months have flown by, and now I'm looking forwards to the April school holidays, spending time in the garden and watching as everything green up and burst into life again.  I love this time of year!

Following on from my New Year post, I'm now not following Slimming World or any other diet for that matter.  I have to say that starting the year with SW (Slimming World) was a great boost for me in that the basics are healthy eating, lots of fruit and veg and restricting fat intake and alcohol.  It certainly works and I lost half a stone within a month, but have now stayed at a sensible weight and  have maintained that weight for about a month, without trying.  So I actually I don't mind that I haven't reached my 'target', I have got fitter, had a brilliant skiing holiday where I managed to ski every day and I've reminded myself of good eating habits.  So it's all good.
Feels like the top of the world. Valmorel, France.

Now that I am 50, I am determined that life should be about balance.  Exercise, sleep, yoga and eating healthy food but also being able to enjoy a glass of wine and some treats every now and then too.  So I have not become "Slimmer of the Year' but I'm quite happy with that.  The fact that I could get my 50 year old, middle aged body to ski as hard as it has ever done is something that I am very proud of :).  Even my kids said I was skiing well (and that's a big compliment as they have all skied since about age 3, whereas I started when I was 25!).  So now back to getting back in the saddle for the summer and enjoying my horse riding too.

Anyway, enough of the middle aged musing, and on with my latest yummy recipe.  I have made mini crustless quiches, breakfast frittatas before but this time wanted to try something light and spring like.

Last night I hosted our monthly book club get together and as my chickens are all laying lots of eggs at the moment, I decided to give these a go;

Pea, Mint & Feta Mini Frittatas - makes about a dozen

Ingredients;  One packet of greek feta cheese, a cup of frozen peas (defrosted), a handful of fresh mint, 10 eggs, black pepper, olive oil or olive oil cooking spray to grease a 12 hole yorkshire pudding or muffin tin.

Lovely Yellow Yolks! 
 


Method;  Grease the muffin tin.  Divide the peas, mint and feta equally into each of the pans.  Crack eggs into a large batter bowl/jug and beat until well mixed, season with pepper (I don't use salt as the feta cheese can be salty enough).  Then pour enough batter to fill the cover your pea mix, filling each pan about 3/4 full.  Finally bake in a hot oven for around 12 minutes (I checked mine after 10), probably about 180/200oC, but I put in the middle of the top oven in my Aga.




Once the frittatas have cooled for a few minutes, remove them from the tin to cool on a wire rack


These can then be served warm now, or reheated later.   Or even better cooled down and popped in the fridge to eat cold the next day.

The taste of the mint and peas is lovely and light, perfect with a glass of cold white wine and literary discussion!  Well, we always talk about the book before we get down to the serious business of catching up with everybody's news.

You can experiment with these with lots of different fillings and flavours.  My breakfast ones have bacon or ham and mushrooms in them.  Or for a more sophisticated drinks party maybe made with smoked salmon and broccoli.  They are so easy and very, delicious and a lovely way to use up a glut of eggs.




No comments:

Post a Comment